About Me

My photo
On December 11, 2012 I was diagnosed with Stage IV Endometriosis. Prior to my diagnosis, I had never heard of Endometriosis. I had no idea what to expect of the life that was ahead of me, and I am still figuring out what that life is. All I can do is take it one day at a time. I am not an Endo expert; I can only speak from personal experiences. I will not presume to think that my life is so interesting that people want to read about it, but I feel like it is my responsibility to share my story and spread Endometriosis awareness. If I only reach one person, then this blog is worth it. Thank you for reading.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Yes to Cannabis

I never thought I'd be making the case for cannabis use, but I have seen the light. I want to share why I finally said yes to cannabis.
Being the rule-follower I am, I never tried marijuana in South Carolina because it was/is illegal. I accidentally ate a pot cookie at a party once, but it wasn't strong enough to affect me. That was it. No other marijuana intake. I had friends and family recommend I try cannabis to help with the chronic pain I suffered because of Endometriosis. My argument was always, "It's not legal."
Then I moved to California. I had surgery and a prescription for pain pills when I first moved out here. Neither method helped with my pain. My pain actually got worse after my surgery, and the pain pills caused constipation and made me feel terrible. I was desperate for pain relief.
At the end of August 2015, I was willing to try anything that would give me relief from my pain. In the past, natural treatments always gave me the best results, so I decided to give pot a chance. I got a medical cannabis certificate and headed to a dispensary.
I stuck out like a sore thumb. Initially, I was only interested in using cannabis oil that was high in CBD, with little to no THC. I was nervous about getting high. I like to be in control and I was afraid I would freak out if I got high. I started with cannabis oil and topical lotions. I graduated to a vape pen, still only using CBD oil. I noticed an improvement in my sleep and my pain was getting a little better. Then I tried edibles. At first I only tried the CBD edibles, still not wanting to get high. Those helped the most with my body pain.
After researching the different strains of cannabis, I decided to give Indica edibles a try. The Indica strain is great for body pain and gives you a mellow high. I tried it and I was sold. The Indica edibles helped the most with body pain, anxiety, and overall mood. I usually have a very therapeutic giggle fest when I have an edible, so that's almost reason enough to do it.
I don't have to worry about how the cannabis is going to affect my body. It's natural. My husband actually said, "I think medical marijuana might save our marriage." Meaning, I'm so much happier and less anxious now that I'm feeling better. My pain isn't as frequent as before. If I have a flare-up, I take an edible and I feel better. Sexual intercourse is the least painful it's ever been when I take an edible. That is a huge deal because sex is unbearable otherwise.
I have nothing negative to say about the effects cannabis has had on me. I know too many people that suffer from chronic pain, fatigue, anxiety, depression, PTSD, insomnia, seizures, cancer, you name it, that would benefit from being able to use cannabis. I truly hope that it becomes legal in all 50 states. For now, I'm grateful to live in a state where I have access to the most beneficial treatment method I've found. Cannabis makes Endometriosis tolerable, which allows me to live a better life. Yes to cannabis!

No comments:

Post a Comment